Sunday, March 11, 2012

Welcome to the Nuekie blog!


Eunice Cofie
President and Chief Cosmetic Chemist
Growing up, I was made to feel like I was not beautiful because of my dark skin color and tightly coiled hair. I was often picked on by my peers. I remember crying endlessly as I was being called names like "black", "African booty scratcher", or "nappy head".  The bullying did not just stop at words but it became physical. Girls would take turns pulling on my hair. I even remember one guy spitting on my hair. The constant teasing and bullying damaged my self-esteem.

My saving grace was my father’s encouragement for me to pursue an understanding of science which shifted my focus. In the first grade, my father entered me into my first school science fair. My father would spend countless hours teaching me how to develop my science fair project. The hard work that I put into my science fair project paid off when I won first place in the school science fair. From that moment, I began to gain confidence in myself. What I understood from that experience was that I may not have been viewed as the prettiest girl in the room but I knew that I could be the smartest girl in the room. Science had become my oasis and my strength. It became my love.

This love for science later led me to major in chemistry/molecular biology at Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University. One day while in my organic chemistry lab class, my eyes were opened to the world of cosmetic science. My professor, who also owned his own cosmetic company, wanted my classmates and me to understand how to practically apply organic chemistry to our everyday lives. So, he made a decision to have us create lotions and hair relaxers instead of conducting the regular lab experiments. I was bitten by the creative bug and began working alongside my professor outside of class learning as much as I could about cosmetic science. 

It was during my research with him that I learned that it is a substance called melanin  produced in the skin cells that gave me my dark complexion. With this information, I came to an epiphany that my dark skin color did not make me inferior but it was divinely orchestrated and it made me beautiful and unique.

I also realized that the cosmetic industry lacked effective treatment products that took into account the unique structure and function of ethnic skin and hair. This was just the impetus that I needed to develop my company Nuekie, Inc.. My company is purposed to provide quality dermatological products for ethnic people (i.e. African/African-American, Hispanic, Asian, Middle Eastern, Native American, Pacific Islander).

As we prepare for the launch of Nuekie, I decided to create this blog to be a resource in empowering you with the information you need to have healthy skin and hair. Just as I have discovered my beauty, my mission is to inspire you to discover that you are perfect in beauty!

Please feel free to send me your questions concerning your beauty needs. I will do my best to answer your questions in upcoming posts. I look forward to sharing my knowledge as a cosmetic chemist with you!

 
Peace and Blessings, 
Eunice Nuekie Cofie

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful Story. I Absolutely Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope my story has helped others to see how beautiful they are!

      Delete
  2. What an amazing story. I love to see people triumph even in the face of adversity. I can relate to your article in more ways than one. Self-esteem is a big issue for girls and even women in general. There are so many things that impact it. Blessings on ya lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cindy! I totally agree with you, self-esteem is a big deal for women and girls. I hope to inspire them to realize they are perfect in beauty!

      Delete
  3. Paulette Grey RiveriaApril 2, 2012 at 11:56 AM

    Your story resonates with me and likely with so many women in this country. I was also blessed to become infected with the science bug at an early age. When I learned that just about everyone has the same amount of melanocytes--just that those of darker pigmentation have more of the cells "turned on" to release the melanin--I began to have a greater appreciation of the beauty of being dark. Thank you for embracing your own beauty and adding the smarts and wherewithal to create an amazing company. I'm rooting for you all the way--and can't wait to get my hands on your products!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thank you so much Paulette. I am so glad that you have a deep appreciation for your beauty. I am making batches now and will be sending samples out to you REAL soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can definitely relate to this story and I'M SO ECSTATIC about this blog, this company, this product! There are moments in my life when I hear something or see something and I feel the powerand the drive to change lives through your vision. Jeremiah 29:1, never lose sight of what makes you, you! You professed and declared that your company is purposed!...your heart and spirit is set to serve. And I'm going to enjoy the journey and growth of this creation blossom and bloom. Peace and love you sis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naki, I appreciate all of your support! I will not lose sight. I will continue to move forward with the vision God has given me for this company.

      Delete
  6. Hi! I have a question: as an african-american actor with SUPER sensitive skin, I struggle to find a foundation that looks good on camera and on stage, and that I can wear for "eight shows a week" without breaking out. Does your line have anything that fits this need, and what general TYPE of makeup would you recommend? My mind goes straight to mineral, but would it work under stage lights?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that great question! Tell me about your skin care regimen. Do you put on a primer before you put on your make-up? Primers are designed to protect the skin and give one a smooth look. What brand are you currently using? I recommend you look for make-up that is labeled hypoallergenic. These products do not contain the commonly found irritants to sensitive skin. You also may want to get your own set of make-up brushes to your make-up artist. Make sure you clean those weekly. Also, you may want to use a pre-cleanser to remove your make-up and prep your skin for your facial cleanser. We have a great one available! Our focus is on skin care products because it is the foundation for a great make-up look. Please feel free to e-mail me at info@nuekie.com if you have anymore questions. I would be more than glad to help!

      Delete
  7. Ms. Cofie, thank you for providing the daily skincare regimen. Many people of color tend to have nice skin overall, aside from the dark spot problem and it’s easy to fall victim to not properly caring for our skin. I will use your daily regimen as a guide. I wanted to mention that I have a 4 year old with eczema and her legs and arms are badly bruised from the scratching. We have a prescription to calm the itching, but I was wondering what you would recommend to smooth out the marks on her legs and arms.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...