Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Why Your Hair Pomade May Be Causing Your Acne



http://www.acneacademy.org/uploads/pages/Figure%203%20-%20Pomade%20acne.jpgEver wonder why you experience acne breakouts on your forehead?  Well, it may be due to the pomade you are using to style your tresses. Pomade acne is a constant battle for women of African descent where the desire to obtain a beautiful coif can wreak havoc on the skin.

Pomade acne is a condition caused by continuous usage of oil-based pomade or hair oil that comes in contact with the skin. The excessive oil in the area of application clogs pores and thus causing acne.

Persons of African descent have hair which is tightly coiled in structure and the scalp oils do not reach the hair shaft due to the hair structure leaving the hair dry. Pomades, moisturizers, and oils containing olive, tea tree, mineral oil, and petrolatum are commonly used by persons of African descent as a lubricant for dry hair and make styling manageable. Many hair pomades have ingredients which are comedogenic. The acne lesions are typically seen on the forehead and temples forming of acne vulgaris (blackheads and whiteheads), cysts, papules and pustules.

If you are experiencing pomade acne, eliminate the usage of pomades and heavy oils all together. Or, you if you must use oil to style your hair try to use a light oil such as jojoba oil. Apply the oil about an inch away from your hairline and rub down to the ends of your hair. Be sure to clean your hands thoroughly of any oil before touching your face. The pomade acne should begin to clear. If does not clear then you can treat it with an acne topical treatment.  Contact a dermatologist who specializes in skin of color if the acne persists.

Have you ever experienced pomade acne? If so, how did you treat it?
 

2 comments:

  1. I used to have horrible pomade acne. It took me a few years (all the way through high school) to realize that my favorite gel and grease combo was damaging my skin! I stopped using gel and grease all together. Now I use only natural oils on my hair like coconut, jojoba, or almond oil. My hair -- and skin -- have never been healthier! I really appreciate that Nuekie is thinking about these problems that are uniquely frustrating to women of color. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has fully emerged to crown Singapore's southern shores and undoubtedly placed her on the global map of residential landmarks. I still scored the more points than I ever have in a season for GS. I think you would be hard pressed to find somebody with the same consistency I have had over the years so I am happy with that. best women's electric razor

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...